- Public Works
- Public Works
The Westfield Department of Public Works (DPW) is charged with the responsibility for keeping the physical resources of our municipal government functioning. From leaf collection, to road maintenance, to repairing broken sewer mains, and making sure that park facilities are clean and usable, the DPW impacts the lives of Westfield's residents on a daily basis. During times of emergencies, such as storms or blizzards or any other crisis, our dedicated DPW employees put in many extra hours, often at night, on weekends or on holidays, to keep the Town of Westfield operating safely. The department is on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, and consists of four divisions: The Roads Division, the Parks & Fields Division, the Downtown Division, and the Forestry Division.
Some of the DPW's key responsibilities include:
- Town-owned building maintenance repairs: Painting, roof repairs, plumbing repairs and minor structural, masonry and fence work.
- Grounds maintenance of all municipal buildings, parks, playgrounds and athletic fields: Landscaping, mowing of approximately 98 acres a week during spring summer and fall, all weekly monument maintenance and maintenance of outlying areas, as well as flower bed maintenance in various areas, and public restroom maintenance.
- Roads maintenance on approximately 100 miles of roads: Small paving, sealing, hot patch, cold patch, crack sealing and striping jobs.
- Signs: Producing a wide variety of signs for traffic compliance, parking compliance, street signage, construction signage, and more.
- Sewer and drainage maintenance: Pumping stations, storm and sanitary sewer lines throughout Town, and use of the Town’s sewer truck and equipment.
- Garbage collection: Regular collection in the central business district and park facilities.
- Street sweeping: Three times a week in the central business district, and town-wide twice per year as conditions permit.
- Annual leaf collection: Town-wide curbside pickup each fall consisting of multiple passes as conditions permit.
- Snow plowing and ice treatment services: All Town roads, as well as municipal parking lots, pathways, municipal sidewalks and buildings (Town Hall, DPW, Westfield Memorial Library, Fire Houses), train station lots and sidewalks, and park facility lots.
- Forestry services: Trimming, removal, stump grinding, replacement and storm responses including snow, wind, rain and ice.
- Conservation Center operations: Permit sales, bag distribution, mulch and firewood distribution/sales, handling of multiple drop-off recycling programs and bulk waste, brush removal, grass removal, leaf removal and monitoring of DEP compliance.
- Vehicle/equipment maintenance: The vehicle maintenance shop includes maintenance of the Town fleet and police vehicles, as well as Town equipment such as pumps, compressors, chainsaws, mowers, plows, sanders, and more.
- Maintenance of Town owned ponds, streams and waterways, including installing and maintaining aerators.
- Participation in special events: Some examples include the annual installation of holiday decorations, DWC events, Chamber of Commerce events, Westfield Neighborhood Council events, AddamsFest, road races, the Memorial Day parade, the 9/11 remembrance ceremony, band concerts, and more.
Reporting an Issue
For non-emergency matters, use the free Westfield Connect app to report an issue with athletic fields, downtown, monuments, parks, recycling, roads, trees, or traffic signals. The app allows you to add photos and comments, and track the status of your request.
During business hours, you can also call the Resident Hotline (908) 789-4100, option 4, where you can report a pothole, fallen tree limbs, street drainage problems, etc., and a Public Works employee will be assigned to address the issue.
For sanitary sewer back-ups at any time, and emergencies occurring nights or weekends, please call the Police Dept. at (908) 789-4000.