Utility Project Information
While utilities such as electricity, natural gas, trash collection, water, and TV/Internet service operate independently of the Town, there are times when they conduct maintenance, repair, or upgrade work that can impact residents.
When the Town is notified of such work, information and updates will be posted here in order to keep residents updated.
NJ American Water Advisory
NJAW crews will begin routine flushing of the water distribution system in your area April 29 through May 20 to provide you with high-quality water service. Flushing in your area will occur between the hours of 8 a m and 4:30 p m. Flushing also allows us to test and maintain fire hydrants.
When crews are working in your area, you may notice reduced pressure or discolored water. If your water is discolored, run the cold water taps only, at the lowest level of the house for about 3 to 5 minutes until the water runs clear. If discolored water occurs, please also refrain from doing laundry during that time.
In keeping with American Water’s focus on safety for both customers and employees, please do not approach our crews while they work. For more information and to see a map of the affected area please go to NewJerseyamwater.com or call 1.800.272.1325.
We apologize for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience and understanding while we undertake this necessary maintenance of the water system.
NJ American Water Main Replacement Project
Beginning in mid-January 2022, New Jersey American Water will replace over three miles of aging water main in Westfield. The project also includes replacing 20 fire hydrants and 375 utility-owned service lines along the pipeline route. The company will upgrade the aging 6- and 12-inch cast iron water lines that were installed in the 1940s with new 8- and 16-inch ductile iron main along the following streets:
- Ayliffe Avenue entire length
- Cayuga Way from Summit Avenue to Otisco Drive
- Kensington Drive entire length
- Leigh Drive entire length
- Marlboro Street from Pinegrove Avenue to Central Avenue
- Mohawk Trail entire length
- Mohawk Way from Mowhawk Trail to Rahway Avenue
- Norwood Drive entire length
- Otisco Drive entire length
- Rahway Avenue from Willow Grove Road to Leigh Drive
- Summit Court loop from Summit Avenue to Summit Court
- Tamaques Way loop from Norwood Drive to Norwood Drive
- Warren Street from Lamberts Mills Road to South Scotch Plains Avenue
New Jersey American Water’s local, qualified contractor, Montana Construction, Inc. expects to be completed within approximately nine months, weather permitting. Work hours will be from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Work outside of these hours is not expected unless required to maintain project schedule. Final street restorations will be completed in the fall of 2022.
Project timelines are subject to change due to a variety of factors including weather and availability of supplies. New Jersey American Water encourages customers to sign up for alerts through their MyWater account and follow the company on Facebook and Twitter to receive project updates.
For the public’s and workers’ safety, traffic restrictions and/or alternating traffic patterns are likely to occur during work hours. All emergency vehicles and local traffic will be allowed access during construction. New Jersey American Water values the safety of its workers and advises drivers and pedestrians to take caution in the vicinity of work sites.
For additional information about this project, contact Matthew Sherman, NJAW Construction Inspector, at 732-904-1350.
Elizabethtown Gas Pipeline Replacement Project
Elizabethtown Gas has recently notified residents in the following areas of pipeline replacement work affecting their neighborhoods. Following the completion of the utility work, Elizabethtown Gas will resurface impacted roadways with milling and paving.
South Chestnut Street/Lenox Avenue (Phase 1)
- Archbold Place
- Arlington Avenue
- East Broad Street
- Lenox Avenue
- South Chestnut Street
- South Euclid Avenue
- St Marks Avenue
- St Paul Street
- Stanley Avenue
- Tremont Avenue
South Chestnut Street/Lenox Avenue (Phase 2)
- 4th Avenue
- Cornwall Drive
- E. North Avenue
- Fairmont Avenue
- Hillcrest Avenue
- Saint Paul Street
- S. Chestnut Street
- S. Euclid Avenue
- Tremont Avenue
- Central Avenue
- E. Broad Street
- E. North Avenue
- E. South Avenue
- Lenox Avenue
- Quimby Street
- Ross Place
- Sussex Street
- W. North Avenue
- W. South Avenue
- Cacciola Place
- S Elmer Street
- South Avenue
- Summit Avenue
- Windsor Avenue
All residents have been provided with notification by Elizabethtown Gas.
For additional information about this project, and ongoing work in other areas of Westfield, please visit the Elizabethtown Gas Work in Your Neighborhood website.
You may also contact Elizabethtown Gas at 866-767-5558 or firstname.lastname@example.org
PSE&G Electrical System Upgrade
As you may be aware, Public Service Electric & Gas (PSE&G) has been actively upgrading the electric system in order to provide safe and reliable service.
As part of this upgrade, existing circuits are being rerouted, along with the installation of new utility poles and new electric wires along an existing pole line. The work, which also includes tree maintenance, is expected to last several weeks in each neighborhood and reach completion in May 2022.
A section of this project runs along the following streets:
• E. Broad Street (between Mountain Avenue and S. Chestnut Street)
• Linden Avenue (between Kimball Avenue and E. Broad Street)
• Jefferson Avenue (between Kimball Avenue and E. Broad Street)
• Winyah Avenue (between Linden Avenue and Wychwood Road)
• Gallowae (from Wychwood Road to dead end)
• Scudder Road (from Gallowae to dead end)
• Canterbury Road (between Wychwood Road and Winyah Avenue)
• Canterbury Lane (between Winyah Avenue and Canterbury Road)
• Baker Avenue (between Winyah Avenue and Saunders Avenue)
• W. Dudley Avenue (between N Avenue W and Prospect Street)
• E. Dudley Avenue (between Prospect Street and Lawrence Avenue)
• Elm Street (between E. Dudley Avenue and Orchard Street)
• Kimball Avenue (between Elm Street and Lawrence Avenue)
• Walnut Street (between Elm Street and Lawrence Avenue)
• Prospect Street (between W. Dudley Avenue and Lincoln Road)
• South Avenue (between Elizabeth Avenue and Central Avenue)
For questions, please call the PSE&G Project Hotline at 1-800-901-5035.