Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Providing Westfield residents as many opportunities to recycle in order to reduce waste sent to the landfill.  This team works alongside the Conservation Center to expand recycling opportunities.

You may know us from...

  • Free Market! The annual event where residents drop off gently used goods so that they can be re-used by the community. This event has likely kept over 15 tons of goods from the landfill.  
  • The expanded recycling options at the Conservation Center -- available free of charge and no permit required. Only #1, #2 and #5 plastics are recyclable in Westfield right now, but there are many other options such as styrofoam, plastic film bags, batteries, corks, tennis balls, plastic toys, books and food waste. 
    Check out the Conservation Center page.  

Ways you can make a change

  • Eliminate your use of plastic bags, straws and styrofoam.
  • Use reusable water bottles to eliminate the use of plastic water bottle. 
  • Bring food waste to the Conservation Center and learn all about it below.
  • Compost food waste for use in personal gardens. 
  • Request that downtown restaurant establishments provide environmentally friendly take-out containers.
  • Finally, if you can't reduce or reuse, learn about all of your recycling options in Union Country

Frequently asked questions about the Food Waste Program

How should food be packaged?   
Residents can bring their food waste either loose or in clear plastic bags and deposit it in the specially marked food waste recycling bin at the Westfield Conservation Center.

Do I need a special container from Waste Management or can I use my own container?  
No special container is required. You can transport your food waste using any container you find convenient.

When and where in the Conservation Center do I drop off food waste and during what hours?  
Residents can drop off food waste anytime the Conservation Center is open. Check the Conservation Center page for current hours. 
The food waste bin is located near the recycling area. If you have trouble locating it, just ask one of the members of the Public Works department working at the center.