Earth Month Activities
Saturday, April 22 at the South Avenue Train Station Lot
Donations: 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM (Pre-registration for a donation time slot is required.)
Browse and pick up: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Donate or take home (at no cost!) yard sale quality items such as clothing, kitchen items, garden tools, housewares, sports equipment, and books. This is a great way to share still-usable items instead of discarding them, which helps limit what is sent to the landfill.
- Donated items must be new or gently used, clean, in workable condition, and able to be carried by an individual.
- Items should be clearly labeled in boxes or paper bags (not plastic bags) and separated by category, so they can be easily sorted and made available to browsers.
- Categories of accepted items include clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, kitchenware, housewares like blankets and bedding, CDs, DVDs, video games, flat screen TVs, electronics, sporting goods, small furniture, toys, musical instruments, lamps, gardening tools, sleds, and sporting goods.
- Friends of Westfield Memorial Library will also be on hand to collect gently used books (no textbooks or magazines).
- Categories of non-accepted items include large appliances and furniture, mini-refrigerators, air conditioners, tube TVs, computer monitors, food items, fragile glassware, strollers, car seats, cribs, exercise equipment, mattresses, foam pads, carpets, ladders, recyclables (like paper, cans, etc.).
Due to the popularity of Westfield’s Free Market, Scotch Plains also began a similar event last year. They will be holding their second annual Freecycle Market on Saturday, April 22 at Brookside Park in Scotch Plains.
Great Swamp Native Plant Sale
April 3 - 28
Order online and pickup locally at Brightwood Park in Westfield
Native plants are critical to supporting the ecosystem, especially birds and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. To support wildlife in your own backyard, you can buy native plant species through the Great Swamp Watershed Association. The sale offers kits that suit a variety of garden conditions, as well as individual plant species, with pickup for Westfield residents at Brightwood Park on Saturday, May 6.
Battle of the Drains: Westfield vs. Berkeley Heights Competition!
April 22 - May 31
Brightwood Park Day
Saturday, May 6
Brightwood Park is a 44-acre nature preserve featuring walking trails and a pond loop. Stop by and join Friends of Brightwood Park (FOBP) and other local community groups for a day of exploration and discovery. Activities will include birding, photography, and nature walks, a history tour, children's nature class, fairy scavenger hunt, and more.
Keep an eye on the FOBP's website for more information and to register for specific activities.
Community Park Cleanups
Sunday, May 7, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Spend the morning volunteering and helping to beautify Westfield’s parks. Families, teens, Girl/Boy Scout troops, and others are welcome. Bring your gardening gloves and meet at one of the locations below. Sign up is recommended.
- Tamaques Park: Basketball courts
- Brightwood Park: Parking lot (entrance off Prospect Street)