- Mayor's Advisory Councils
- Westfield Green Team
- Earth Month Activities
Earth Month Activities
Saturday, April 22 at the South Avenue Train Station Lot
Donations: 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM (Pre-registration for a donation time slot is required.)
Browse and pick up: 11:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Donate or take home (at no cost!) yard sale quality items such as clothing, kitchen items, garden tools, housewares, sports equipment, and books. This is a great way to share still-usable items instead of discarding them, which helps limit what is sent to the landfill.
- Donated items must be new or gently used, clean, in workable condition, and able to be carried by an individual.
- Items should be clearly labeled in boxes or paper bags (not plastic bags) and separated by category, so they can be easily sorted and made available to browsers.
- Categories of accepted items include clothing, shoes, accessories, jewelry, kitchenware, housewares like blankets and bedding, CDs, DVDs, video games, flat screen TVs, electronics, sporting goods, small furniture, toys, musical instruments, lamps, gardening tools, sleds, and sporting goods.
- Friends of Westfield Memorial Library will also be on hand to collect gently used books (no textbooks or magazines).
- Categories of non-accepted items include large appliances and furniture, mini-refrigerators, air conditioners, tube TVs, computer monitors, food items, fragile glassware, strollers, car seats, cribs, exercise equipment, mattresses, foam pads, carpets, ladders, recyclables (like paper, cans, etc.).
Due to the popularity of Westfield’s Free Market, Scotch Plains also began a similar event last year. They will be holding their second annual Freecycle Market on Saturday, April 22 at Brookside Park in Scotch Plains.
Great Swamp Native Plant Sale
April 3 - 28
Order online and pickup locally at Brightwood Park in Westfield
Native plants are critical to supporting the ecosystem, especially birds and beneficial insects like bees and butterflies. To support wildlife in your own backyard, you can buy native plant species through the Great Swamp Watershed Association. The sale offers kits that suit a variety of garden conditions, as well as individual plant species, with pickup for Westfield residents at Brightwood Park on Saturday, May 6.
Battle of the Drains: Westfield vs. Berkeley Heights Competition!
April 22 - May 31
The Battle of the Drains is on! Berkeley Heights has challenged Westfield to an Adopt-a-Drain competition that will kick off on Saturday, April 22.
Sign up online to adopt a storm drain in your neighborhood and help keep it clear of debris and prevent pollution from entering local waterways. Plus, if you track your activity online by entering estimated debris you collect between April 22 and May 31, you’ll be helping Westfield compete against Berkeley Heights to see whose residents took the most action to prevent water pollution during the time period, and you’ll be entered to win a prize.
In 2020, Westfield became the first municipality in the state to launch the Adopt-a-Drain program. This volunteer-driven initiative acts as a supplement to the ongoing efforts of our Department of Public Works to regularly maintain the 3,000+ drains throughout Westfield.
For more information on the Adopt-a-Drain program and how to enter the Battle of the Drains, visit the Adopt-a-Drain website and find out how easy it is to help keep our watersheds clean.
Brightwood Park Day
Saturday, May 6
Brightwood Park is a 44-acre nature preserve featuring walking trails and a pond loop. Stop by and join Friends of Brightwood Park (FOBP) and other local community groups for a day of exploration and discovery. Activities will include birding, photography, and nature walks, a history tour, children's nature class, fairy scavenger hunt, and more.
Keep an eye on the FOBP's website for more information and to register for specific activities.
Community Park Cleanups
Sunday, May 7, 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Spend the morning volunteering and helping to beautify Westfield’s parks. Families, teens, Girl/Boy Scout troops, and others are welcome. Bring your gardening gloves and meet at one of the locations below. Sign up is recommended.
- Tamaques Park: Basketball courts
- Brightwood Park: Parking lot (entrance off Prospect Street)